Let’s face it, no one really enjoys doing squats standing do they? I mean, you have to check your knees 1,000 times to make sure they aren’t going over your toes. You are constantly wondering about your form. They aren’t exactly pain free either. The burn is real!
Getting a hack squat machine makes doing squats just a little bit easier on you and your body. I find using one of these machines to be way more efficient. What does that mean for you? Faster results with less effort. Hallelujah for that.
Why do I need a hack squat machine?
If you’re here, you are looking to better your squats. If you are looking to better your squats, you probably are questioning your technique. That is where a hack squat machine comes into play.
These machines can really help you get the perfect alignment and minimize chance of injury. One of the biggest complaints about squats I hear is, “I don’t think I’m doing it right.” You might not be and that can lead to some quick injuries and also some long term injuries that are harder to bounce back from.
Getting a hack squat machine will also encourage building muscle strength as well as stability. A lot of people are very weak in there glutes and it causes them back issues as well as balance and gait issues. A hack squat machine has a whole slew of problems it can solve for you.
Body-Solid GLPH1100 Leg Press/Hack Squat Machine- Best Overall Hack Squat Machine-Best Overall
The Body-Solid GLPH1100 Leg Press/Hack Squat Machine is a pristine piece of equipment. It has a lot amenities without lacking any quality. I like that it is a combination between a hack squat machine and leg press.
You can work out your quads, calves, glutes while maintaining control. It will be easier on your joints and you won’t have to worry so much about incorrect ergonomics. Practice up on this bad boy and look like a rockstar in the gym. The manual can be found here.
- Leg Press and Hack Squat Machine
- I like that you get a duo machine here. It can work a few different muscle groups instead of just one or two.
- Heavy Duty
- Made with a steel mainframe and has a diamond plate foot platform.
- Three Lock-Out Positions
- Makes it easy for all types of expert levels and body types. You can have an easier start position if you are a little less flexible, a beginner, or shorter.
- Smooth Glide
- Has a quad track roller system. What in the world is that? Basically, it just makes sure to distribute your weight evenly so you don’t get hurt. It also runs smoothly up and down so you get a clean squat or leg press. That way you exercise your muscle properly and get the max benefit from it.
- Assembly Issues
- A common theme in the complaint department is the assembly. Looks like it takes anywhere from 3-6 hours. Now, to be fair, it depends if you are handy or challenged in this arena. I’m sure my husband could whip this thing out in 3 hours, but I would probably take a hell of a lot longer.
- Another issue with the assembly is missing parts. Quite a few people have complained that they are missing a couple nuts or bolts and had to travel to the hardware store to get more. It seems like a third world problem, I know but for the price you are paying, they should really include a few extra parts just in case.
- Inconvenient Placements of Parts
- A few people have complained about the placement of the pull pin and the adjustable parts in general. This could be in part, because they are used to a different machine. However, I still think they wouldn’t complain if it was in an easy access position.
- Price Tag
- MSRP value at $1,495.00. It’s not sky high but it isn’t cheap either. I chalk this up to the quality of materials. Quality products tend to cost more, especially in exercise equipment.
Who is the Body-Solid GLPH1100 Leg Press/Hack Squat Machine for?
I like the Body-Solid GLPH1100 Leg Press/Hack Squat Machine for all ranges of people. It’s versatile enough for someone with very little expertise or someone that is used to pumping iron all day long in the gym.
It’s also versatile in the fact that it can accommodate most height ranges. The seat seems wide enough to me for a pretty large person to sit comfortably as well. Overall, I think the Body-Solid GLPH1100 Leg Press/Hack Squat Machine is a great fit for everyone.
Powertec Fitness Leg Press, Black
With a max load of 1,000 pounds, the Powertec Fitness Leg Press screams power. Your home gym is incomplete without a leg press, and I like that the Powertec will fit in your room while still delivering the workout you crave.
It’s built for all body types so you don’t have to worry about incorrect positioning. This leg press is NOT for hack squats. However, you can use Olympic plates on them which is a convenience for those who like to train with them. The manual can be found on the Powertec website.
- Smooth and Durable
- Built for power with a finesse. The press rides smooth while still giving you the feeling of a serious burn. It doesn’t do the work for you, just allows you to do the work you want without a sketchy set up.
- Being a smaller machine makes this leg press ideal for the home gym. You can put it in practically any space and still get a quality workout out of it.
- Built for Every Body
- Even though the machine itself is small, it has incredible range for all sizes of bodies. From a 5’1” leg press queen to a 6’4” hulk, you can comfortably do your presses without feeling like you are in the wrong seat.
- This is a big one for most of you. You want to be able to progress without hitting a stopping point in your machine, correct? Well, the Powertec allows you a max load of 1,000 pounds which is probably as high as you want to go in a home gym anyways.
- Another added feature is that you can use olympic plates on the Powertec. I like this because a lot of people want to train with these kind of plates or already own them. It’s a seamless transition and makes it an easy choice for your home gym.
- Fast Set Up
- We’ll get to the instructions later, but the actual set up of the machine is really quick. There’s only a few steps and most people claim you can get it done in a couple of hours or so. That’s a huge time saver compared to a lot of the machines I looked at. Some can take you a whole day or MORE.
- Price Tag
- The price on the Powertec is so reasonable. For all you are getting, it’s a real steal. I’m actually a little surprised it doesn’t cost more considering it’s quality and the number of happy reviewers out there. I would say if you are on a budget but still want a really high quality leg press machine, this is your guy.
- Loading and Unloading
- A lot of reviewers claim you CAN’T load and unload the bottom rack if your carriage is above the lowest position. While you can’t load it the same, you can still load it.
- It’s inconvenient at most, but you need to just put the plates on at an angle if you aren’t in the lowest position. Again, it’s not the end of the world. It’s just a minor inconvenience as far as I can see.
- Instruction Manual
- Poor instructions lead to a frustrating assembly.
- Cannot Hack Squat
- While you can’t hack squat, you can still leg press. It’s up to you what you are looking for.
- Seem to be in an inconvenient position.
Who is the Powertec Fitness Leg Press for?
The Powertec Fitness Leg Press is for the everyday leg press Joe to the hardcore gym rat. I like the versatility in it, but on the same hand it stays very straightforward. That’s a great combination for a gym machine and really what you should be looking for.
The only real downside here was the instructions.To me, that’s not a deal breaker. If you can get past that, I don’t see why you wouldn’t want this solid piece of workout gear.
Body-Solid GLPH1100 Leg Press, Calf and Hack Squat Machine – Ease of Use
Finding a hack squat machine that is going to actually give you good form and not kill your knees is a real struggle. However, the Body-Solid GLPH1100 Leg Press, Calf, and Hack Squat Machine really does give you that elite gym feel.
It has a beautiful design with all of it’s amenities being high caliber and built for power and control. Stocked with 3 lock out positions, a quad tracker roller system, durifirm pads, and a 1,000 pound capacity, the Body-Solid has everything you need in your home gym to hit your goals. The manuals can be found here.
- I like that you can hit so many lower body muscles with this machine. Leg presses, calf raises, and hack squats all in one machine. You save space while gaining more of a home gym.
- This is a solid design. It’s got a diamond plate, 1,000 pound maximum capacity, and structurally stable design. All of that together makes this piece of machinery able to last you a very long time.
- The components that make up the Body-Solid are made to be high caliber. The quad track rolling system and Durifirm pads are just an example of that. It provides a smooth glide so you don’t injure yourself or have issues with your workout machine.
- Olympic Weight Capable
- Many weightlifters like using these types of weights and the Body-Solid is happy to accommodate that.
- Easy to Use
- With 3 lock out stops and the 12” weight horn, you should have no trouble operating this beast.
- Also, the easy to flip around pads/plate is super user friendly.
- Not Built for Every Body
- Probably the biggest drawback of this hack squat machine is the sizing issue.
- If you are fairly tall (6’2” and above) you are probably going to struggle a little getting in and out of here.
- On the other end of the spectrum, if you are pretty short (5’1” and under) you are going to want a step or something to accommodate for the shorter leg length. For me, this poses a safety issue, but some people are alright with it.
- Price Tag
- Closes in at almost $1,500 which is a good chunk of change. However, you are getting basically a 3-for-1 deal with this machine. So, it is a good deal for what you are getting.
Who is the Body-Solid GLPH1100 Leg Press, Calf and Hack Squat Machine for?
The Body-Solid GLPH1100 Leg Press, Calf, and Hack Squat Machine is excellent for the person who wants to incorporate more than one workout in one machine. It’s for the average sized person and one who needs a user friendly set up.
Bodycraft F660 Leg Press/Hip Sled
The Bodycraft F660 is one mack daddy machine. It is just built for power. The term industrial comes to mind when you see what the machine looks like. It’s got the capability of being a leg press and hack squat machine.
This is a gym quality machine with lots of adjustable parts. In the same breath, it’s not a huge machine so will fit nicely in your home gym. It has the best of both worlds and will surely be a new favorite addition. The manual can be found here.
- The size is perfect for a home gym at 39x79x50 inches.
- Both leg presses and hack squats
- Easy to use
- Industrial Grade
- Made of heavy gauge steel
- Industrial grade linear bearings instead of cheap plastic you will find on a lot of machines
- Shoulder pad and foot plate are fully adjustable for all heights so you get the correct positioning and reduce chance of injury
- The foot plate moves out of the way for hack squats
- Lifetime Warranty
- This just shows how nice of a product you are getting. Bodycraft stands behind their machines and deliver excellent quality so you don’t have to worry about it falling apart.
- Not for Shorter People
- You can’t get the full depth of your squat or leg press if you are under about 5 foot 2 inches. It’s a little frustrating since there are so many adjustable parts to this thing.
- Over $2,000 but you really are getting a gym quality machine.
Who is the Bodycraft F660 Leg Press/Hip Sled for?
The Bodycraft F660 is an excellent choice for those who want a gym quality and style machine in their own home. It’s for anyone a little over 5 feet and up. The industrial strength and lifetime warranty are just proof that you are purchasing the ultimate workout gear.
York ST Power Front Squat
The York ST Power Front Squat machine allows for both front squats and hack squats. I like this because some people still want that ultimate squat feeling and you can get it with the York ST.
It is actually rated for commercial use so it’s very heavy duty, well made, and built to last. The York ST Power is a little bit larger but again, is capable of commercial use. If you add this to your gym you are going to be investing in a serious piece of equipment.
- Commercial Grade
- Made for the gym but great for the home. I feel this shows the extreme quality you can trust with the York.
- Olympic Plate Capable
- Again, so many lifters want to and do use Olympic plates so this is really handy.
- Safe and Effective
- Two-tier catch system for safe lifting
- Non-skid footplate for better grip and less chance of injury
- Multiple foot positions available for ergonomics and safety
- Front and hack squat positions for the ultimate workout
- 78x53x64 makes for a big machine. However, you are getting a lot of machine in that space so I think it doesn’t matter unless you don’t have the space for it.
- Assembly Instructions
- Complaints of the instructions being poor at best can make for a difficult assembly. However, the good news is that it won’t take you too long to put together.
- A little over $1,700 is a big expense. Again, you are getting a quality machine that’s going to last you a very long time. So, I would look at it as more of an investment.
Who is the York ST Power Front Squat for?
I would say the York ST Power Front Squat machine is best for those looking for both a hack squat machine and power front squat machine. That being said, I think you are going to be happy with the commercial grade quality with this unit and will be able to enjoy it for years and years.
These 5 machines are such a great addition to your home gym. You are getting quality, convenience, and a great work out in one big package. The majority of these machines are going to be excellent on space saving and they are all going to get you a great workout. A hack squat machine is one of the best pieces of gym equipment you can invest in.