If you are hoping to burn fat, get fit, and get healthier in general, cardiovascular exercise comes very highly recommended indeed. Cardio is the perfect type of activity for burning calories and improving your stamina and endurance, especially with the right pieces of kit. Check out 7 tips to help you buy a folding treadmill.
You can’t really go wrong with a treadmill in terms of cardio, right? Or can you? Actually, yes you can. Treadmills are perfect for performing cardiovascular exercise on, either in the gym or at home. The problem with buying a treadmill however, is that they are not all created equally. Some treadmills out there are awesome and are worth every penny they cost.
Others however, well, to be blunt they absolutely suck. If you’re looking to invest in a new treadmill, it’s important that you get the best treadmill for the job. To make your search that little bit easier, we will now be taking a look at the 8 best folding treadmills of 2018.
In this article you’ll find a detailed overview of 8 of what we believe to be the best treadmills currently on the market. Below we’ll be highlighting their key features, key benefits, and a few things that we feel could have used a little improvement. So, without any further hesitation, let’s help you find your ideal treadmill. Remember to always stand/walk/run upright on a treadmill.
Life Fitness F3 Smart Treadmill
Life Fitness is one of the most respected names in the fitness industry, and generally speaking, if they have their name associated with a fitness product, you know that it’s going to be good. The Life Fitness F3 Smart Treadmill is no exception to the rule. Life Fitness make some seriously awesome commercial gym kit, but don’t let that fool you, because their home gym range is also just as fantastic. The Life Fitness F3 Smart Treadmill would not look out of place in a commercial setting, yet it is not designed for use at a commercial gym. It is instead designed for use in the home. It is equipped with a number of features that emphasize this, and although it’s not the cheapest home treadmill in the world, we feel it’s still very fairly priced. The manual can be found here.
Some of the main features this treadmill provides include the following:
- Home-setting design – As mentioned, this treadmill is designed to be used at home. How do we know? Because it comes complete with an ultra-quiet motor, as well as a child safety lock. If you have children, this gives you huge peace of mind.
- Smart tech – As you can guess by the name, this treadmill does indeed provide smart technology. It offers a quick-start feature which actually remembers your preferred walking, running, jog speeds, as well as inclines. If you perform the same type of workout on a regular basis, this is very useful. Not only that, but it will also sync with your smart devices seamlessly.
- FlexDeck Shock Absorption – The treadmill also features FlexDeck Shock Absorption System, which is patented and is designed to reduce stress placed on the joints by as much as 30%.
- Programs – The F3 comes complete with a number of pre-installed programs, including: manual, hill, random, cardio, fit test, fat burn, and many more.
- Stylish and attractive design
- Very good on the joints
- Child-safety features
- Syncs with smart devices
- Some users have had issues with the console display
Overall, this is one of the more impressive treadmills on the market as it is useful for people of all abilities and levels of fitness. We’ll give it 4.6 out of 5.
NordicTrack T6.5 S Treadmill
Next on our list we have the NordicTrack T6.5 S Treadmill. This treadmill looks the part. It is very well made, it is loaded full of useful features, it is affordable, and it offers users plenty of variety. The T6.5 S comes complete with a 2.6 CHP drive system, it offers multiple pre-installed programs, it can be set to an incline of up to 10%, plus it can even be used with your iPod or similar MP3 device so you can listen to your favorite music as you work up a sweat. NordicTrack are another very reputable company in the fitness industry, and this treadmill shows why.
This treadmill has plenty to offer its users. While we can’t cover every feature in great detail, we can look at some of the more prominent examples:
- 20 workout apps – One of the best features of the T6.5 S is the fact that it comes with 20 integrated workout apps/programs. These programs are all unique and challenging in their own way, and they have all been overseen and approved by professional personal trainers. Every program automatically adjusts your time and speed to ensure that you are able to meet specific goals and targets.
- One-touch display – There’s nothing worse than having to scroll through endless programs, numbers, and settings on a treadmill display when you are trying to change something during your workout. NordicTrack obviously agree with this, which is why they build their machine complete with one-touch control capabilities. If you want to alter your speed or incline, you can do so literally with the touch of a button.
- iFit compatible – If you haven’t heard of iFit, it is new fitness brand which integrates with this treadmill, to help users get more from their workouts. For example, if they utilize an iFit module, they can access Google Maps and bring up training routes from all over the globe. There is also much more on offer, including personalized workouts, competitions, auto stat tracking, and plenty more besides.
- Great design
- Flex-Select cushion belt allowing users to select their levels of cushioning underfoot
- iFit compatible
- 20 workout apps
- One-touch controls
- Cardiogrip heart rate sensor
- Some models have experienced belt issues
Overall, the T6.5 S is a very affordable, very user-friendly treadmill with plenty of handy features. It is an ideal treadmill for use at home, and because of its user-friendly design and simplicity, it is perhaps better geared towards newbies to the world of fitness. Overall however, we’re very impressed and will give it 4.4 out of 5.
Lifespan TR1200i Folding Treadmill
The third offering on our list today is the Lifespan TR1200i Folding Treadmill. This is a special treadmill. Don’t just take our word for it however, just look at Lifespan’s treadmill sales history. If you look, you will see that Lifespan’s best-selling treadmill is in fact this very model. It is foldable and portable, which makes it perfect for use in the home, and in garage gyms and places where space may perhaps be lacking. It features a high-quality motor, EZ Fold technology, smart capabilities, pre-installed and fully integrated trainer programs, a lightweight design, and much more besides. The manual can be found here.
The TR1200i Folding Treadmill is loaded full of useful and effective features that have helped make it Lifespan’s most popular treadmill. A few of the main features associated with this treadmill include:
- Adjustable incline – This device features a heavy-duty 2.5HP motor that provides 15 unique levels of incline which are fully adjustable. To really work your legs and give yourself a gruelling cardiovascular workout, the adjustable incline feature is hugely beneficial.
- 21 trainer programs – If you want to simply jump onto the treadmill and use it manually then that is absolutely fine. If however, you instead wish to try something new and a little more challenging, you can utilize t he machine’s unique 21 trainer programs. Each program is unique and will provide different advantages. Some programs are for losing fat, while others are for building stamina and improving your fitness.
- EZfold Tech – This treadmill is foldable, which already makes it great for use in the home. Some home treadmills that claim to be foldable however, are incredibly difficult to fold. The TR1200i however, had EZfold tech. What this means is that the treadmill is equipped with a hydraulic shock which assist with the unfolding and the folding of the treadmill. Because of this, it has a soft-drop system which makes it extremely safe when you wish to fold it away, and unfold it again to use.
- Detailed display – Another of the many features we have been particularly impressed with here is the cavalcade of display features available for users to look through. Users can monitor steps, calories burned, heart rate, distance traveled, and much more besides.
- Lightweight and durable
- EZfold tech for safe storage
- 21 fitness programs to choose from
- 15 adjustable levels of incline
- Lifetime warranty on frame and motor
- Accurate and detailed display
- A few users have experienced issues with the speed of the device
- Small cup holder sizes
If you are looking for a light weight and portable treadmill that can be used in the home when space may be limited, the Lifespan treadmill is ideal. It is very sturdy, can withstand 300 pounds of weight, is easy to use, and is very easy to fold away and store out of the way. Beginners and intermediates may benefit from using this treadmill. We’ll give it 4.5 out of 5.
Sunny Health and Fitness Treadmill
If you are looking for an affordable, cheap and cheerful treadmill that is small in stature but big on features and functionality, the Sunny Health and Fitness Treadmill is the perfect device for you. It can alternate between speeds of 0.5 mph and 9 mph, with 3 manual options available for adjusting levels of incline for when you want to focus on your gradient work. This is one of the more basic treadmills on our list, but if you are on a budget or simply want something fairly primitive in style and functionality, the Sunny Health and Fitness Treadmill is ideal. The manual can be found here.
Although this device is fairly basic in comparison to the other devices we’ve looked at so far, that does not mean that it doesn’t have much to offer, because it most certainly does. Key features of this device include:
- Easy folding system – If you are lacking in space at home, the sunny health and fitness treadmill is the perfect space-saving solution. It features an easy folding system with soft close capabilities. This allows users to safely unfold the treadmill, hands-free, and fold it back up again when they’ve finished with their workout.
- Handrail controls – What we found especially impressive about this treadmill was the fact that it allowed users to control speed, stop, start, and pause functions from the handrail. The machine can be paused with the touch of a button, but you can keep your running stats and data in tact until you are ready to resume.
- 9 in-built programs – Okay, while the other devices on our list have had more than double the amount of integrated fitness programs, the 9 programs available on this treadmill are still extremely useful and effective. Whether you want to work on your endurance, or focus on burning fat, the programs built into this device will allow you to meet your specific fitness goals and targets. Whatever they may be.
- Large LCD display – The LCD display on this treadmill is also very effective. It is very large in size and so it is easy to read. It shows users all kinds of stats and pieces of info, including distance, speed, time, heart rate, calories burned, and much more besides.
- Affordable price
- Easy storage options
- Soft close function
- In-built programs
- Large LCD display
- Soft drop system
- Handrail controls
- Pulse grips to monitor heart rate
- Low max user weight of just 220 pounds
This treadmill is very much aimed at beginners who are not overly experienced when it comes to treadmills, and cardiovascular exercise in general. It is an affordable model that is great for people on a low budget who do not take their training too seriously. For the money however, it is awesome and for that reason, and a few others, we’ll give it 4.6 out of 5. Also available in pink.
Weslo Cadence G 5.9 Treadmill
Looking for a budget treadmill that is perfect for use in small and confined spaces? If so, this next treadmill could prove particularly interesting to you. Up next we have the Weslo Cadence G 5.8 Treadmill. This treadmill is foldable and so it offers a lot in terms of space-saving. It also has plenty more to offer however, including 6 unique pre-installed programs, and a two-positioning incline system. The manual can be found here.
Though it is low in price and small in stature, the Weslo still has plenty to offer to its users. Including:
- Heart rate monitor – The Weslo features and Easy Pulse Heart Rate Monitor which allows users to get a precise reading of their heart rates by simply placing their thumbs onto the specially-designed sensor located within the console.
- Comfort cell cushioning – Another very impressive feature offered by this treadmill is what is known as comfort cell cushioning. The treadmill running deck of this device has been uniquely designed so as to reduce stress placed on the joints with the impact of each footfall. It offers a layer of cushioning for optimal stride impact absorption.
- Integrated personal trainer workouts – If running continually seems boring to you, switching up your workouts will be very beneficial. Thankfully with this treadmill, that is exactly what you can do as you can choose from 6 unique and fully-integrated personal trainer workout programs. Whether you want to burn fat, work on your endurance, or really push yourself and try something new, these programs are perfect.
- LCD display – The LCD display on this treadmill features an attractive blue tint. It lets users track their progress in the form of calories burned, steps taken, distance covered, time taken, and much more…
- Compact and light-weight design
- Accurate heart rate sensor
- LCD display
- Two-position incline settings
- Cushioning for the feet and joints
- 275 pound weight capacity
- Complaints of poor customer service
This is one of the more basic treadmills we will be looking at today, but it does the job it was designed to do, and it does it well. This is reflected in the price, and while it isn’t loaded up with fancy features, there is still more than enough to keep the casual fitness fan more than happy. We’re giving it 4.2 out of 5.
Confidence Power Trac Pro 735W Motorized Electric Folding Treadmill
The first thing that you will notice about this machine is that it is pink. And by pink, we mean really pink. This would perhaps suggest that it is aimed more at female users than males, though we know plenty of guys out there who are fans of pink themselves. Anyway, bold color aside, what else can we say about this treadmill?
Okay, first off is the fact that it is cheap in price, coming it at around $219.99 as of this writing, and that includes free shipping. It has a series of built in fitness programs, an accurate LED display, and adjustable incline settings. So, what does it have to offer?
Some of the more prominent features associated with this treadmill include:
- 12 in-built fitness programs – It may be cheaper than the other treadmills on our list, but that doesn’t mean that the manufacturers have scrimped on the fitness programs in this particular model. The Confidence Power Trac Pro provides users with 12 built-in fitness programs, designed to provide different levels of difficulty to the user.
- Adjustable manual incline – Another feature we like about this treadmill is the adjustable manual incline settings. There are 3 levels of incline for users to choose from: 2 degrees, 3.5 degrees, and 5 degrees.
- LED display – The LED display on this model is clear to read, is fairly large in size, and tells users what they need to know about their workouts. Users can track and monitor their times, calorie burns, speed, distance travelled, and more, all by simply checking the LED display.
- Emergency stop clip – Treadmills, even the more primitive models, are still dangerous. Safety should always be a priority, and right here it is. The machine features an emergency stop clip which the user simply attaches to their shirt. If for whatever reason, they happen to slip from the running belt, the clip will be removed and the emergency stop will stop the machine dead in its tracks.
- Emergency stop clip
- Easy to use
- Colorful design
- Effective LED display
- Manual incline settings
- In-built fitness programs
- Some users have reported delivery problems, as some items have previously been found missing upon delivery
If you want a basic, affordable, but effective treadmill that does exactly what it says on the box. This is the perfect model for you. It is well made, it’s durable, it’s effective, and, well, it’s pink. We’ll give it 4.5 out of 5.
XTERRA fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill
And for the penultimate treadmill on our list we have the XTERRA fitness TR150 folding treadmill. We’ve been hearing a lot of good things about this mid-range treadmill, and based on the reviews out there for it, we can understand why. The XTERRA fitness TR150 folding treadmill has plenty to offer users in terms of design and functionality. The manual can be found here.
Some of the main features offered by this treadmill include:
- 5-inch LCD console – The 5-inch LCD console is more than large enough to provide users with whatever info they require regarding their workouts. This includes speed, time, distance, and calories burned.
- Pre-installed programs – The XTERRA provides users with 12 built-in fitness programs of varying degrees of difficulty. This means that your workouts will have plenty of variety.
- Folding design – If you are lacking space, this treadmill features a folding design for easy and efficient storage. This fold away treadmill will save you space and effort thanks to its unique design.
- Direct Access Speed Keys – If you’re looking for fast and easy control of your workouts, the Direct Access Speed Keys will provide you with exactly that. These keys provide preset speed settings to give speedy and effective workout control.
- Stylish design
- Fold away treadmill design
- Large LCD display
- Pre-installed programs
- Adjustable incline levels
- Heavy in weight, so moving it can be challenging
This is a wonderful mid-range treadmill that is not on the lower end of the spectrum, nor the high end. It is affordable, easy to use, effective, and very stylish and attractive to look at. While it isn’t loaded full of features, it has enough to keep users satisfied. We’re giving it 4.4 out of 5.
EFITMENT Auto Incline Bluetooth Motorized Treadmill
And finally, last on our list today we have this offering from EFITMENT. The auto incline Bluetooth motorized treadmill looks the part, it acts the part, and it is one of the best compact treadmill designs we’ve come across. The manual can be found here.
Some of the key features of this treadmill include:
- Incline options – If you enjoy running on an incline (if anybody ever really does) you’ll love this collapsible treadmill. It offers 15 levels of auto incline capabilities, so you can personalize your workouts and decide just how steep of an incline you really want to run on, all with the simple touch of a single button.
- Bluetooth stereo speakers – With this feature you can wirelessly connect your streaming device to your treadmill via Bluetooth and listen to your favourite tunes directly from the speakers on the treadmill itself.
- Quick speed modes – This treadmill also provides 2 easy quick speed modes: walk, jog, and run. If you don’t want to mess around with programs and just want to make a start, these speed modes are very useful. Simply press 1 of the 3 buttons of your choosing, and away you go.
- Backlit LCD display
- Bluetooth technology
- Pulse rate monitoring
- 3 quick speed modes
- Foldable treadmill design
- Large running surface
- 15 levels of auto incline
- Some users have complained that the speakers could be louder
Overall, we were very impressed with this treadmill. Okay, it won’t compete against some of the bigger names on our list, but it doesn’t try to. Instead, it just does its own thing, and it does it well. We’re giving this treadmill 4.7 out of 5.
Best overall treadmill
Life Fitness F1 Smart Treadmill
Best value for money
EFITMENT Auto Incline Bluetooth Motorized Treadmill
Best for budgets
Sunny Health and Fitness Treadmill
Best for ease of use
Weslo Cadence G 5.9 Treadmill
You may also be interested in more home gym equipment, if so, check this out.